Once upon a time, I earned a Master's Degree in Literature and was a Professor of Literature and Composition. I had a wonderful time writing my Master's Thesis about Children's and Young Adult Literature, and I considered earning a Ph.D. so that I could continue to pursue the written word, including British, American, Latin American and other Global Literatures, Children's and Young Adult Literature, all types of genres and occasionally even poetry. But life takes you in unexpected directions, and so now I am working for a non-profit agency (you can read about that on my other blog, A Little Bit of Wonder). Although my job keeps me too busy to post as many book reviews as I would like, Recommended Reading is a place where I can continue to share my literary discoveries and knowledge as time allows.

Please note that I post reviews for books that I recommend reading, just like the blog title says. This means that I typically won't post a review for a book that I completely dislike. This isn't because I shy away from making negative comments, but rather because I don't want to waste your time or mine (I won't even bother to finish a book if it's not any good). For more on this, see the explanation of my Rating System.)


Monday, May 2, 2011

National Children's Book Week

May 1 – 7 2011 is National Children’s Book Week, presented by the Children’s Book Council!

I’m not able to get to any of the book festivals or events, and so to celebrate, I am going to read the fantasy novel Clockwork by Philip Pullman. Pullman’s novel was one of the recipients of the Children’s Choice Book Awards in 1999.

The Children’s Choice Awards are presented as part of National Children’s Book Week, after being vetted by five separate review teams of children across the country. Children’s Choice is the only children-selected literary awards program in the country. If you are interested learning more of the recipients, complete lists of the award-winning novels from 1998 to the present are available at the International Reading Association website.

Will you be doing anything to celebrate Children’s Book Week? Think about joining me in reading a Children’s Choice novel. There are some great books on the list, including Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (also 1999), The City of Ember by Jeanne Duprau and Coraline by Neil Gaiman. But before you decide on one of these novels, check out the lists for yourself!

My review of Clockwork will be posted later on this week or early next week, and in the meantime, I also plan on posting a review of another great children’s novel, The Tale of Despereaux by Kate di Camillo. So check back soon to learn more about these two great fantasy tales, and find a way to celebrate and enjoy Children’s Book Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...