Once upon a time, I earned a Master's Degree in Literature and was a Professor of Literature and Composition. I had a wonderful time writing my Master's Thesis about Children's and Young Adult Literature, and I considered earning a Ph.D. so that I could continue to pursue the written word, including British, American, Latin American and other Global Literatures, Children's and Young Adult Literature, all types of genres and occasionally even poetry. But life takes you in unexpected directions, and so now I am working for a non-profit agency (you can read about that on my other blog, A Little Bit of Wonder). Although my job keeps me too busy to post as many book reviews as I would like, Recommended Reading is a place where I can continue to share my literary discoveries and knowledge as time allows.

Please note that I post reviews for books that I recommend reading, just like the blog title says. This means that I typically won't post a review for a book that I completely dislike. This isn't because I shy away from making negative comments, but rather because I don't want to waste your time or mine (I won't even bother to finish a book if it's not any good). For more on this, see the explanation of my Rating System.)


Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Excerpt: The Flower's Vanity

The lovely flower had soon begun tormenting the little prince with her rather touchy vanity. One day, for instance, alluding to her four thorns, she remarked to the little prince, “I’m ready for tigers, with all their claws!”

“There are no tigers on my planet,” the little prince had objected, “and besides, tigers don’t eat weeds.”

“I am not a weed,” the flower sweetly replied.

“Forgive me…”

“I am not at all afraid of tigers, but I have a horror of drafts. You wouldn’t happen to have a screen?”

“A horror of drafts… that’s not a good sign, for a plant,” the little prince had observed. “How complicated this flower is…”

“After dark you will put me under glass. How cold it is where you live—quite uncomfortable. Where I come from—” But she suddenly broke off. She had come to the little prince’s planet as a seed. She couldn’t have known anything of other worlds. Humiliated at having let herself be caught on the verge of so naïve a lie, she coughed two or three times in order to put the little prince in the wrong. “That screen?”

“I was going to look for one, but you were speaking to me!”

Then she made herself cough again, in order to inflict a twinge of remorse on him all the same.

So the little prince, despite all the goodwill of his love, had soon come to mistrust the flower. He had taken seriously certain inconsequential remarks and had grown very unhappy.

“I shouldn’t have listened to her!” he confided to me one day. “You must never listen to flowers. You must look at them and smell them. Mine perfumed my planet, but I didn’t know how to enjoy that. The business about the tiger claws, instead of annoying me, ought to have moved me…”

And he confided further, “In those days, I didn’t understand anything. I should have judged her according to her actions, not her words. She perfumed my planet and lit up my life. I should never have run away! I ought to have realized the tenderness underlying her silly pretensions. Flowers are so contradictory! But I was too young to know how to love her.”

In order to make his escape, I believe he took advantage of a migration of wild birds.

On the morning of his departure, he put his planet in order. He carefully raked out his active volcanoes. The little prince possessed two active volcanoes, which were very convenient for warming his breakfast. He also possessed one extinct volcano. But, as he said, “You never know!” So he raked out the extinct volcano, too. If they are properly raked out, volcanoes burn gently and regularly, without eruptions. Volcanic eruptions are like fires in a chimney. Of course, on our Earth we are much too small to rake out our volcanoes. That is why they cause us so much trouble.

The little prince also uprooted, a little sadly, the last baobab shoots. He believed he would never be coming back. But all these familiar tasks seemed very sweet to him on this last morning. And when he watered the flower one last time, and put her under glass, he felt like crying.

“Good-bye,” he said to the flower. But she did not answer him.

(Excerpt from Antoine de Saint-Exupery’s The Little Prince, pages 23 to 25.)

This little vignette is one of many moments of wisdom in de Saint-Exupery’s slender but important book, The Little Prince. In a tale simple and imaginative enough to entertain children, the author still manages to pack observation after observation about the folly of human nature into the story. Our prince leaves his little home planet and begins to explore the vast universe, finding little more than foolish men that inhabit the neighboring planets. But when he eventually lands on Earth, he befriends a pilot who is stranded in the desert, and shares the story of his travels.

This book never ceases to make me smile, with its imagination, wit and understated wisdom. Come back tomorrow for a full review of The Little Prince.


This post participates in my Focus on Fantasy Reading Challenge. In order to learn more about the challenge and the reading contest, read my original Focus on Fantasy post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...